Learn How to Paint Like the Old Masters Using Modern Materials™
Old Masters Academy offers far better value than any contemporary art college
Old Masters Academy Online Course
A self-study, self-paced online video course for you to improve your oil painting skills and learn how to paint with modern materials using traditional techniques of the Old Masters
- Instant access to all 61 multi-part video lessons
- Lifetime membership without deadlines
- Unlimited support from the Academy tutors
- Constructive critiques of your artworks
- Member access to the Academy’s Art community
- Place in the Academy’s Students Gallery
- Members-only newsletters and bonuses
- Old Masters Academy™ Diploma of Excellence
One-time payment: $487
Personal Tutoring online + Online Course
The ultimate choice if you who would like to receive personal, unlimited, one-to-one tutoring by the Academy teachers, which is custom-tailored to your skills and needs
- Everything in Online Course, plus:
- Dedicated team of art tutors
- Assessment of your current level of art skills
- Personalized curriculum tailored to your skills and goals
- Up to 50 practical tasks with by-task assessment
- Unlimited one-to-one personal coaching with detailed per-task instructions and feedback
- Artwork critiques and results-oriented guidance
One-time payment: $997
Here’s how Old Masters Academy compares to an art college:
|Contemporary art college||Old Masters Academy™ Online Course||Personal Tutoring online + Online Course|
|Traditional Old Masters painting techniques||Not taught||It’s the core subject of the course||It’s the core subject of the course|
|Art tutors||Limited to period of college enrollment||Dedicated team of tutors available for a lifetime||Dedicated team of tutors available for a lifetime|
|Personal, one-to-one tutoring||Not applicable||Not applicable||Unlimited, provided for a lifetime|
|Individual curriculum||Not applicable||Not applicable||Bespoke curriculum tailored to student’s skills|
|Painting and drawing video lessons||Not available||60 video lessons on how to paint and draw||60 video lessons on how to paint and draw|
|Tutors showing painting techniques by own example||Not applicable||You can watch video lessons as many times as you want||You can watch video lessons as many times as you want|
|Location||Have to travel/relocate||Learn in the comfort of your home||Learn in the comfort of your home|
|Timing||Limited to college hours||24/7, 365 days a year for a lifetime||24/7, 365 days a year for a lifetime|
|Deadlines||Inflexible schedule||Self-paced study, no deadlines||Self-paced study, no deadlines|
|Personal support||Limited to college enrollment||Unlimited, provided for a lifetime||Unlimited, provided for a lifetime|
|Artwork critiques||Limited to college enrollment||Unlimited, provided for a lifetime||Unlimited, provided for a lifetime|
|Answers to art questions||Limited to college enrollment||Unlimited, provided for a lifetime||Unlimited, provided for a lifetime|
|Art Community||Not available||Old Masters Academy Art Community||Old Masters Academy Art Community|
|Real value of the Course||Uncertain||$5,940 (60 lessons at $99 each)||$10,000 (50 tasks at $200 each)|
|Payment schedule||Recurring Yearly||One-time Fee||One-time Fee|
|Total Cost, USD||$50,000-100,000|| |
Old Masters Academy Online Course
What this art course is about:
Old Masters Academy™ was founded to provide high-quality art education based on the rich heritage of the Old Masters – their know-how of painting methods.
It has the purpose of restoration and promotion of almost forgotten oil painting techniques that are no longer taught in contemporary art colleges.
Why the Old Masters:
Old Masters Academy™ is your doorway to the world of the Old Masters’ art skills. The information presented in this course comes from an extensive research of oil painting methods used during Renaissance and Baroque, gathered from art museums around the world, analysis of restoration works, art bulletins, and many years of study and practice by the course tutor.
How it works:
- For a one-time payment, you will get a lifetime membership and unlimited personal support by the Academy tutor.
- You can study at your own pace in the comfort of your home.
- Watch video lessons on oil painting and drawing as many times as you need.
- Do proposed art assignments or work on your own creative projects.
- Get your artwork critiqued by the course tutor, and receive advice on how to improve your art skills.
- There are no deadlines, no time pressure.
- You can rely on our personal support for as long as you need it at no extra charge.
What you will get:
As an Old Masters Academy™ student, you will get:
- Video lessons on How to Paint Like the Old Masters Using Modern Materials™
- Video lessons on creative drawing techniques
- Video lessons on art materials and color theory
- Video lessons on comprehensive analysis of painting techniques of Rembrandt and Titian
- Unlimited personal support from the course tutor
- Constructive critiques of your paintings and drawings
- Custom-tailored advice on how to improve your art skills
- Answers to all your art questions from a professional artist
- Opportunity to exhibit your works of art in the Old Masters Academy™ Students Gallery
- Subscription to the Old Masters Academy™ Art Newsletter with latest news and art articles
- Upon completing the course, you will get the Old Masters Academy™ Diploma of Excellence in your name
What you will learn in this course:
- You will start with the art vocabulary, so all comprehensive knowledge of the Old Masters will be easy to understand.
- You will find out what art materials you need and how to choose them, so you can make an educated choice of brushes, supports, mediums, etc.
- You will go through the color theory using handy worksheets and templates.
- You will discover what paints the Old Masters used and what modern materials can replace obsolete pigments.
- You will find out the safety tips in oil painting.
- You will learn the harmony and contrast of coloring in painting.
- You will learn the rules of mixing oil paints.
- You will discover how to paint in smooth and impasto textures.
- You will discover a comprehensive analysis of Titian’s and Rembrandt’s painting techniques.
- You will learn direct and indirect oil painting methods such as alla prima and multi-layer optical mixing.
- You will learn how to paint like the Old Masters, using such painting steps as imprimatura, underdrawing, underpainting, grisaille, dead-colors, scumbling, velaturas and glazing.
- You will discover how to varnish oil paintings.
- You will learn how to draw in graphite and sanguine using creative drawing techniques.
- And much more.
Why Old Masters Academy™ is unique:
- The Old Masters Academy™ course is the only place where you can learn time-honored oil painting techniques of the Old Masters – no other colleges or universities offer the same curriculum.
- This is the only course where you can have unlimited personal support by the course tutor for as long as you need it at no extra cost – no other art institutions provide the same service.
- As an Old Masters Academy™ student, you will have a lifetime membership for a one-time fee. This includes all future updates and upgrades at no extra charge.
- The information on oil painting techniques of the Old Masters, which is available in video lessons of this course, is based on scientific research by numerous restorers from various art museums worldwide.
- The course curriculum is designed as a complete step-by-step system of both theoretical and practical knowledge from art vocabulary and art materials to How to Paint Like the Old Masters Using Modern Materials™.
How you will benefit:
- You will discover the almost forgotten painting techniques of the Old Masters. Going through video lessons is like sitting next to the artist and watching over her shoulder how pieces of artwork are created from a blank canvas to a finished masterpiece step-by-step.
- You can benefit from extensive research of many art experts, restorers and professional artists that has been collected, analyzed and used for creation of this course.
- You can benefit from a personal art tutor, who will support you all the way over the Internet.
- You can also benefit from exhibiting your artwork in the Old Masters Academy™ Students Gallery.
- Get constructive critique of your artwork by the tutor, as well as receive feedback from your peer group of fellow students.
Is this course for you?
The Old Masters Academy™ course is very comprehensive, yet totally beginner friendly. Even if you haven’t spent a single day in an art college, you will be able to understand and follow the course curriculum. All you need to do is watch video lessons one by one and use what you’ve learned in your creative projects.
At the same time, even advanced artists will find this course tremendously useful, as it teaches painting techniques not available from contemporary art colleges and universities.
This is the best art learning experience you can have without leaving your home. All information is delivered online, including personal support by the course tutor.
One-time payment – Lifetime membership
How much time it will take:
Improving art skills is not a project, it is a life-long process. Even the best artists never stop learning. That is why you will have a lifetime membership and full access to all educational materials 24/7 from any internet connected device.
There are 60 video lessons with more than 30 hours of total playing time. You can study at your own pace and rely on personal support by the course tutor at any time you need it.
Personal support by the course tutor:
In the Old Masters Academy™ course, you will have unlimited lifetime access to your personal tutor, Natalie Richy, who is a professional artist and art teacher. Getting an art mentor for life, whom you could ask all your art questions, getting your artwork critiqued and receiving advice on how to improve your art skills is priceless. Tutor’s support comes at no extra cost and is included in the course fee.
Do you know any art college where you can study for as long as you wish for a one-time payment, and have a personal tutor at no cost? You would agree that the Old Masters Academy™ course and its tutor’s support are invaluable.
Old Masters Academy™ Assignments:
The Old Masters Academy™ course includes a series of art exercises that will help you to master the art of oil painting. Those assignments are optional, as you may work on your own creative projects, using methods and techniques you have learned in the course. In either case, the course tutor will support you and provide vital feedback on your progress and achievements.
How you can benefit from the Old Masters Academy™ Art Community:
The Old Masters Academy™ has its very special Art Community where you can benefit in the following ways:
- You can participate in the Art competition for your chance to win the complete Old Masters Academy™ course!
- You can get the full Old Masters Academy™ course free of charge by writing and publishing articles about art
- You can subscribe to our Newsletters and get free access to selected video lessons, as well as receive bonuses, offers and new art articles
- As an Academy student, you can exhibit your paintings and drawings in our online art gallery
- You can get feedback on your works of art from the course tutor and fellow students
- You can have your say and share your thoughts about your experience in this course
Old Masters Academy Personal Tutoring
As an Old Masters Academy Correspondence Course student, you will receive dedicated, one-to-one tutoring, which is unlimited, comes for a lifetime, and is tailored to your individual skills and needs. This is as good as having your very own art tutors for a lifetime for a one-time payment. No other art college or university will ever offer you the same opportunity.
In this course, you will cover such topics as:
- Art materials
- Color theory
- How to mix pigments
- How to prepare support for oil painting
- How to transfer drawings
- How to paint in monochrome and with limited color palette
- How to use different painting techniques such as alla prima, multi-layer, Flemish and the Italian ways of painting used during Renaissance and Baroque
- How to paint realistic portraits and figures in oil
- As well as any other oil painting topics you would like to learn
How it works
- Upon enrollment, we will assess your current level of art skills.
- Your art tutors will provide you with a full comprehensive critique of your skills and advise what needs to be improved.
- A custom-tailored art curriculum will be created for you.
- You will receive up to 50 art tasks one-by-one together with detailed instructions that will help you to achieve a greater level of oil painting skills.
- You will learn step-by-step how to paint in oil like the Old Masters using modern materials.
- Your skills will be assessed as you go task by task. You will know precisely what you have to work on at every step of the curriculum.
- You will also have unlimited access to 61 oil painting and drawing video lessons — more than 30 hours of playing time.
- You can study at your own pace. There are no deadlines; your membership is for lifetime.
- You will also have a place in the online Student Gallery to exhibit your artworks, which gives you access to the art community of fellow students and visitors.
- Upon completing the course, you will receive the Old Masters Academy™ Diploma of Excellence in your name.
Do not miss this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!
Old Masters Academy Correspondence Course
One-time payment – Lifetime membership
Old Masters Academy™ video lessons are compatible with all devices
What our students are saying:
I have had some formal art education and got my MFA a decade ago, but the Old Masters Academy surpassed all my expectations. This course is amazing; I wish I would have found it earlier!
Thank you so much for your ongoing help! You are always there and you have always responded quickly and kindly. Knowing that I can rely on my personal art teacher whenever I need some support is invaluable.
Thank you very much for your support. I’m glad I signed up to the Academy. I had no experience at all in oil painting before, and the results on my first portraits are really awesome. You gave me the key to express myself on a canvas and I love what comes out from my brush!
I started the Old Masters Academy course about a year and a half ago. This course was the perfect way for me to learn the oil painting technics of the old masters. I would certainly recommend this course to anyone who is interested in learning to oil paint. Since I started the Old Masters course I have entered 2 art competitions and one art exhibit. And I have sold 7 pieces of art!
I am a visual artist from Ireland. A couple of years ago I took the Old Master Academy online course. I was really surprised with the amount of new information I learned here. It has helped me to improve my art hugely. The videos are great, very clear and concise. I find myself coming back to the videos time and again. Now I approach a painting quite differently; I build a strong foundation and work up in layers of paint and glazes. I have a better understanding of colour pallets and blending. I would absolutely recommend this course; it is so easy to follow, you can go at your own pace and the results are outstanding. Another thing I would recommend is the DrawingAcademy.com course. With these courses my overall art techniques improved ten fold.
I am so happy to have found your site! The videos of Ms. Richy’s drawing and painting processes are very instructive and definitely worth repeated viewings, revealing many close-ups of her works in progress. Learning the traditions of the Old Masters could only increase artistic creativity. As such, I will take great pride in being a part of this community.
Professor Cigdem Gokce, MD, MRCP(UK); BFA Student. Florence Nightingale Hospital, Istanbul
I had some training before, but I never came across a place or a person who had enough to teach me how to use oil paint professionally. I can just watch Natalie paint for hours and hours and I’ll enjoy every minute of it. The videos are really inspiring. It’s a perfect community for anyone who appreciates Art and wants to find their own voice in the Art world. Thank you for creating all of this.
Thank you so much for your feedback on my paintings. It’s super, super helpful and hugely appreciated. Thank you, Natalie Richy for all your help! How lucky I am to have you as my teacher!
When I retired and bought a studio I was ready to paint in oils again after a 44 year break. Since I had had little tuition in oils to start with, I entered the Old Masters Academy to get me going again. I diligently did the course exercises and it helped me a lot. I did many exercises trying to find the most compliant media for glazing, blending and scumbling etc.
I am an environmental engineer with a doctorate degree from the Institute of Technology, Chennai. Drawing and painting is my childhood passion and my hobby.
I have enrolled in the DrawingAcademy.com and Old Masters Academy. I have improved my drawing and painting skills after joining these two courses to a great extent. In October 2018 I have won Lalithkala Academy Karnataka State Award for my oil painting.
Dr. R. Venkataraman
I always wanted to learn art in a traditional way. In Old Masters Academy I found exactly what I was looking for, and I love it. I want to congratulate you for your amazing talent. I am a self-taught artist and your tutorials have helped me a lot in answering many questions that I have. Thank you so much.
Thanks a million for your course. I have had some formal art education, but have never found such good information and instruction before. So I thank you, also for your patience and help. I have learnt more from you than I have before by going from course to course and schools over many years. Now I have found all the information in one place. My painting has improved and my outlook also. I think the Old Masters paintings are incredible.
Thank you for the video lessons and for critique and feedback I’ve got from the wonderful teacher, Natalie Richy.
I really enjoy this course and learn a lot. I’m much more confident in my art skills now.
My biggest questions have to do with a step-by-step oil painting process, such that I don’t have to feel lost at the beginning of a new artwork. I’m working through this course and it helps me greatly in that area.
Peter J Gay
Firstly I wanted to thank you for all the support and guidance you provided to me. Every question I ask comes with such in-depth answer and explanation that it makes me feel very special.
Old Masters Academy has been a treasure. I never imagined that I would be able to paint in oils without having grabbed a brush before.
You made everything so simple. Thank you for all your teaching, help, and support!